Saturday, January 07, 2006

kishorekumar
Kishore Kumar sang beautifully, in a language I don't understand. That's probably all to the good. But I love to hear him sing, particularly this sinuous melody. Lounge music could sound like this if it wanted to.

Kishore Kumar - Kuchh To Log Kahenge

kuchh to log kahenge, logaane kaa kaam hain kahanaa
chhodo, bekaar kee baato mein , kahee beet naa jaaye rainaa

kuchh reet jagat kee ayesee hai
har yek subah kee shaam huyee
too kaun hai, teraa naam hain kyaa
seetaa bhee yahaa badanaam huyee
fir kyo sansaar kee baaton se
bheeg gaye tere nainaa

hum ko jo taane dete hai
hum khoye hain in rang raliyon me
hum ne un ko bhee chhup chhup ke
aate dekhaa in galiyon me
ye sach hain zoothhee baat nahee
tum bolo ye sach hain naa

Searching for more to learn about this song, I found an intriguing web log, well-written, easy for a reasonably bright novice to start getting a sense of Hindi culture. The blogger, a successful author of popular books from Mumbai, just used the song title as shorthand for something I don't comprehend, writing nothing about the song itself. Go to that page by clicking here, but after that, I hope you'll explore the whole site. You can learn a lot by accident on the 'net, don't you think?

3 comments:

Anish said...

Hey Steven, this song is from a movie called "Amar Prem" (translates to "Immortal Love"). This is a playback song (essentially, Kishore Kumar sang the song but an actor [Rajesh Khanna] lip-sync-ed onscreen). This is standard practice on the average Hindi (Indian) movie. Kishore, as you noted, had an incredible voice and is my fav singer for his absolutely remarkable versatility and range. It is small wonder then that 20 years after his death, he remains the single most popular singer in India and every Indian singer worth his salt routinely 'covers' his songs. The song "Kuch to Log Kahenge" was, incidentally, composed by R D Burman who (he too, is no longer alive) is considered one of India's musical geniuses. Kishore Kumar was Burman's favorite singers and the duo delivered many a huge hit at the height of their partnership.

Hope all of the above has been helpful.

Cheers!

Anish

Steven Strauss said...

Hey Anish! Thanks for the great information. It was, indeed, helpful, but what can you tell me to help me sing more like Kishore Kumar? Such unimaginable levels of flexible self-posession! If I could sing like that I could die happy.

Anish said...

Damn, I've tried to figure that out. So far, no luck :)
I have amassed an enormous library of his songs in the process, though. I have a bigger problem than you, I guess, in that mine is not a singing voice. Ha ha. I do have a song recommendation. His "Pal pal dil ke Paas" is divine!